Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I beat Dragon Quest VI !

I finally beat this massive game! It's a loooong game and there's some things I don't remember about the whole thing but there's a few things that are worthy of note.

Firstly, there's no hand holding at all. You figure out what to do and where to go and that encourages adventuring where there's real joy to be had.

Secondly there's the job changing system, which I was initially worried about but it's actually the best, most fun and least finicky system of that kind I've ever used in an RPG. It's better than DQ III's system because it doesn't punish you for changing jobs and it's better than DQ IX's system because there's only 8 levels in a job rather than 99. Oh and choosing what stats to level up really really sucks in comparison. It's a video game RPG so it should all be automated (or at least have that as an option).

Thirdly, if you grind or try to get as many jobs as possible, you're doing it wrong if you want to just enjoy a basic path.

There's probably more I can say about this. I might talk about it again sometime. But for now I gotta say this game rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment