Sunday, January 20, 2013

Playing the Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion demo

I have no idea when this was made available on the eShop but I'm delighted to finally be able to play it!

So, on playing the demo(which only has 10 uses weirdly enough) I find that it's a fairly run of the mill platform game. It looks lovely and the voices are top notch Disney but I'm not fond of the music, which sounds like it's from a DVD menu that loops annoyingly in a store display.

It's decently playable but isn't terribly exciting. That's kind of ok because the old SEGA Castle of Illusion games were like that too and I would definitely recommend this if you liked those games. I have to say though that I don't like drawing or erasing things, especially not for the millionth time. Though that's just me, because doing anything on the touch screen beyond the odd tap makes me nervous about marking it. Seeing the after effect is a pleasure though and it makes the game addictive. I think I'd better not play anymore though because even though I'll become more addicted, I just won't be able to relax and enjoy. I much prefer the action of applying stickers in Paper Mario Sticker Star.

I like meeting the Disney characters and seeing them make up a hub where you can go back and prepare for later levels. Scrooge McDuck makes a shop for example. We also see The Beast, Rapunzel, Peter Pan, Wendy, Goofy etc. Jiminy Cricket then acts as your companion for the adventure. You can do little missions too like finding a frying pan and comb for Rapunzel and finding Uncle Scrooge's Lucky Dime.

So yeah, my first go at an Epic Mickey game and it's not bad! Maybe I'll try out the two Wii games we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment