Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Starting to think about Skyward Sword - Graphics

I've never given The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword much thought. I do remember wishing the graphics were more colourful than Twilight Princess'. Well I guess that wish came true. It should have lots of bright colours. I felt they were on the right track with making things more colourful.

I did feel though that the graphics needed a lot of tuning up. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time but I wanted them to look better.

Looking at Ocarina of Time 3D's revamped and much more colourful graphics kind of helps. Link looked "cool" in the original N64 version of that game, "badass" even. The brighter colours in the new version didn't lose any of this at all. Link when he first appeared in Skyward Sword's trailer didn't look especially cool or badass. If it was Ocarina of Time 3D's adult Link doing that swirling blade pose it might have been much better received, even though it would be the more colourful Ocarina of Time 3D Link.

So for now I'll conclude with the fact that Skyward Sword's graphics gets one out of two things right at least. More colourful graphics is great but there is definite lacking in "coolness" or "badassness" that Ocarina of Time 3D seems to retain even though it went more colourful.

I may not be entirely sure about it yet. I think I am getting somewhere with this though.

No comments:

Post a Comment