Sunday, November 4, 2012

Giving Metroid 1 a serious go

I've been playing Metroid lately and I've gotten further than I have with any previous attempt. I just got the Screwattack ability and I am tearing through enemies who'd normally be a pain.

I'm playing the 3DS VC version and I'm drawing a map as I play with the Game Notes feature. It's quite handy and I have a colour choice between black, red and blue so I'm doing black for the paths and red and blue for the doors. I wonder if the choices available aren't a coincidence? :)

My impressions so far, well, I find the game to be awesome in the proper sense of the word. It makes me feel scared, tired and like it's too much to handle but I still feel like an intrepid adventurer and that's a really good feeling. The labyrinth in which the game takes place has all these tunnels that often look the same and often connect to each other which makes it something you couldn't really commit to memory straight away and to even draw the map as you play makes me anxious because I'm afraid of messing it all up.

Mind you, it's not as overwhelming as trying to draw a map for the Duncan Factory in Earth Bound Zero. The map in Metroid is like being in a hospital you've entered for the very first time. The space pirates are basically giant bugs right? Well, they've built this labyrinth in the same way colonies of real life insects build all these crazy looking networks of tunnels underground. Just imagine trying to navigate them as a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment