Friday, August 31, 2012

I love the word "Metroidvania"

Another word that some people don't seem to like but I love to bits. Even the guy who came up with the term doesn't like it anymore! I'm not sure why but I've been listening to the podcast he's on for a few episodes now and if I were to hazard a guess I would say it's because he's fickle.

The last time I came across the term was surprisingly in an Irish newspaper that has a small weekly section for video games. I say surprisingly because game articles in newspapers are normally complete rubbish. I was surprised the author was even familiar with the term so they may be smarter with their "gaming PR" than I thought...

... or they could simply be misusing the term.

Anyway I love the word "Metroidvania". It describes a type of game I found hard to find more of after playing some Metroid games but since the term got more widely used I came across lists and recommendations for many other games of this type I never heard of before. Games such as "Within a Deep Forest" and "Seiklus".

My favourite Metroidvania is Kirby and the Amazing Mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment