Saturday, December 8, 2012

Does GameStop actually want to sell Paper Mario?

It's a silly question I know but due to their complete eejitry over the last year, I get the feeling that they don't want to sell me the game at all.

Before Nintendo gave the final set in stone release date, GameStop spent the whole year guessing the wrong one and ended up throwing people off. That was bad enough, but last week a clerk told me that it wasn't coming out until next year and that it wasn't even on the shop system. He said this to me with a straight face, even though I had GameStop's recent catalogue open on the page where it explicitly gave the December 7th date for Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

If I was to hazard a guess, I would say he's mixing Paper Mario up with the new Luigi's Mansion. We've had at least two Nintendo Direct features telling us what the final date for the game was but no, some eejit from GameStop has to fuck up the date even now.

Now, I know that the clerk is only there to do the best job he can of selling bits of plastic to people. He mightn't even know who the fuck Satoru Shibata is. This whole mix up though would make anyone feel that GameStop are conspiring against people who want to buy this game.

But hey, of course GameStop isn't involved in some kind of conspiracy. They're just incompetent. Today I saw loads of copies of this newly released game proudly displayed on their shelves. You can buy one right now! You don't have to wait until next year!

This single case more than justifies Nintendo Direct. In a world of uncertainty, this feature is the only true way we can be informed about Nintendo games.

No comments:

Post a Comment