Monday, February 20, 2012

What makes 3D Classics: Twinbee special (also, my current high score)

I love this game so much right now! I have this power up music playing as I type this post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1P29bsH84U

I love the way the stages all have a mellow tune until you nab a power up and then it plays the theme I linked to above, beginning with a fanfare and some hyper happy music.

I didn't say much about the game the last time I made a post about it (click the 'Twinbee' label to find it) apart from me being a longtime fan of the Twinbee series and commenting about the 3D effect.

I did mention the rapid fire option though which is awesome! Maybe it's to cater to the fact that this version was designed for a single player?

Another special thing about this version is the quick save option. It lets you pick up at the start of the stage you were on with your current lives and power ups intact from the moment you quicksaved. Another thing I like is that not only does it tell you what stage you're on, it tells you what loop you're on as well, which is definitely a nice thing for arcade shmup fans!

It's all based on the original NES/Famicom version of the game.

I might as well take a paragraph to explain the gameplay. It's basic vertical shmup gameplay but it has a few of its own unique things, one of which is juggling bells by shooting at them. This helps you get power ups and point multipliers. The danger and excitement comes from trying to collect the bells while the otherwise normal enough baddies constantly get in your way.

I say don't hesitate to buy it if you're thinking about it at all! Also, it's a far better game than Xevious.

My current high score is 1,973,300 on stage 1-5. Yes I know I haven't completed any loops yet but hey I'm having loads of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment