Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Showing the IT Crowd to someone of a more mainstream persuasion

I had a chance to show the IT Crowd to someone who isn't really into computers to test its supposed broad appeal.

They looked at the DVD cover and saw all the pixellated characters on the box. "Oh no is this a cartoon?" "I'm not sure if this is my kind of thing" was what they said. Then I put the DVD on and the menus came up with the pixellated characters moving around like they would in a video game. "Don't worry" I said, "this isn't a cartoon". "Oh I thought it was" they said. Must've been judging from the menus and DVD cover.

I showed the very first episode anyway and they laughed a few times and could see one or two jokes coming before they came up. Afterwards they said "its good! It's definitely more for your age group anyway!"

So there we go. You know, I don't often show most people I know movies or other things I like because it makes me very nervous. I have very different tastes to other people I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment