Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Jools Watsham celebrates Moon anniversary; I think about my experience with First Person Shooters on handhelds

Jools Watsham has been Tweeting stuff about Moon for the DS recently. I haven't played the game myself but I've heard a lot about it. It's a favourite of many. He's also got a new FPS going on in his top secret lab.

I shied away from the likes of Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS because it seemed like it would hurt your hands after playing for a while. With 3DS we have the solutions of gyroscopic aiming and the Circle Pad Pro(which I like very much), but I don't really know if we have an FPS culture on the 3DS like the one we had on the DS(there was also a number of FPS games on J2ME phones when you think about handhelds in general).

MY experiences with handheld FPS games were on the Game Boy Advance! The GBA had the likes of Doom 1 and 2 but I wanted to play original games so I went for the Ecks vs. Sever series mainly. I liked them a lot! The stages had mission checklists, which was one of my favourite things about Perfect Dark on the N64 and they had controls similar to Doom (could only aim left and right). You could also explore ventilation shafts and use zoom-in aiming weapons. My absolute favourite thing to do in these games was to press the delicious L and R buttons on the original model GBA for doing various things like strafing and crouching and crouch-strafing! Playing FPS games this way was novel certainly, but it felt good too.

How should an FPS on a handheld control? I think about this the odd time and I always find myself thinking that simplicity is the key to the best FPS games, just like it is for the best sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment